Saturday 12 February 2011

Research on FRONT COVERS!

I have listed some magazines below that will be an inspiration to me for when I make my own magazine.

Beginning with....

Rolling Stone Magazine

The reasons why I have chosen this issue of the magazine is because Rolling Stone is aimed at my target audience. And even though people would normally associate this to be a rock magazine on the cover it has, Britney Spears, a pop star. Which goes with my pop/rock genre magazine.


On this particular issue they have placed the artist on the right side of the cover and the writing on the left side. I like this because as I have discovered most magazines place their artist exactly in the centre and the writing on either side. The magazine catches the target audiences eye because it's bright. The colour-scheme is white, yellow and grey. This links with Britney's mood in the image because yellow connotes happiness, white connotes birth. Which in Britney's case she is returning as it says in the headline and the colour-scheme links with this. Although she is wearing casual clothes she still looks sexual as she is pulling her pants down. This is a classic way to help sell the magazine as men would be attracted to it more.

I like how the main article is distinguished from the rest. And I also like how they have matched the name of the magazine with the decided colour-scheme of the other writing. I will take all this into account for when I think about the layout and colour-scheme of my own magazine.

To finish I have realised some typical conventions of these magazines that there are limited fonts as there are colour pallets for the house style. I will take all of this into consideration for my own magazine.

Institutional Information

- Rolling Stone magazine is produced by Wenner Media and is released every two weeks.

- The Rolling Stone Magazine was the first to be printed on carbon neutral paper. The first issue was on June 28th 2007. Where it had features on climate change.

- The celebration of Rolling Stone Magazine 50 years was promoted by radio advertising and was supported by national print.

- Rolling Stone is normally marketed by its website and adverts on TV.

Billboard Magazine

The reasons why I chose to pick this magazine was because it's different from the Rolling Stones Mag. Starting with the colour-scheme and the layout.


Here we have Miley Cyrus in the centre of the front cover and the writing placed on either side. We see that Miley has moved away from her child-like image and is now wearing black leather which is considered to be sexual as is the pursing of the lips. This is all done again to help attract men and sell the magazine it also links with the sub-heading "The Queen of Teen grows up. But will her fans follow?"  The gold M connotes golden child as if she may have grown up but she is still the Miley we all love. The background colour used is purple which connotes sophistication, which again links with Mileys new image and her growing up into her won person. So I like the fact how again the colour-scheme links with the main article. Which is something I feel I will do for my own magazine.

My main reason for picking this was due to the fact the photographer has used a prop, which I could use for inspiration in my own magazine.

Just like the previous magazine there are limited fonts as there are colour pallets for the house style.
Institutional Ideas

- Billboard Magazine is published weekly.

- Billboards most successful marketing tool is its website gaining more that 4 million new visitors each month in 100 countries.

- The magazine was founded by William .H Donaldson and James .H Hennegan in 1894.

This concludes my research on front covers!

No comments:

Post a Comment